Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

STILL Editing

I don't think this will ever end, this editing thing.

I made record time yesterday, managing to get through 70 pages of work. That speed has me highly suspicious. I must have missed quite a bit. There'll be a third pass of editing, I have decided.

This pass is the major one though. Already I have done some major restructuring of one chapter. I've added tonnes of dialogue, and tried oh so hard to get rid of my tendency to write in passive voice.

Once this pass is done, I have to come up with a synopsis. It must be an adequate synopsis, one that is exciting and intriguing and will make people want to read the actual manuscript. If there is one thing I hate more than editing, it's synopsis writing! I never know what to write. I find it ridonkulously (hush, it's a word... now) hard to separate myself from the story enough to be able to leave out things that could be left out. Mucho practice is needed in this department.

I was supposed to have finished editing by the middle of this month. It doesn't look like that is happening, so I've given myself to the end of this month. That doesn't leave a lot of time for me to write the synopsis and do a third pass of editing before the submission deadline hits.

I'm starting to get stressed.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. I tend to work better when under the gun, as it were.

Right, I should stop procrastinating and get to it. Before I go, here's a formatting tip I did not know prior to being helped out last week:

Despite what I was taught in school, never put a double space after a period. It's single space only. Why? I'm not entirely sure. The book I read said it indicated that you were a technology dinosaur (not in so many words, but that was the gist). I'm 26, and a technology dinosaur.

That's a depressing thought.

On that note, Happy Wednesday everyone!

No comments: