Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Could it Be?

I'm a little weirded (not precisely a word, but it is used in the common vernacular) out right now. For what feels like the majority of my life (how's that for melodrama!), I have been editing and formatting and otherwise preparing The Osprey and the Crow for submission to competition. It seems like I'm almost ready. I'm so almost ready that I'm likely to be really ready by the end of the day.

So, naturally, the doubts have set in.

Disclaimer: these doubts will in no way impede the submission of the manuscript. Don't panic. I'm still going to submit.

These doubts are niggling little things. Things like: you suck. Also, things like: it's a good story, but not really what the judges are looking for, is it now.

The biggest issue is the shape-shifting. There are a number of instances when characters shape-shift. Granted, they are Gods, or otherwise supernatural beings. However, the entry guidelines did specifically state that all things must obey the natural laws - the laws of physics. Shape-shifting is not so much in keeping with the laws of physics.

They didn't really mention shape-shifting. They used ants as their example. An ant must be ant-sized, or else it's skinny, weak little legs wouldn't be able to hold them up. That was, not in so many words, their stipulation. I think my shape-shifting might disqualify me. However, my ants are ant-sized.

They also did say that "the possibilities are endless." So I'm focussing on that and submitting anyway.

I'm terribly nervous. I don't know why I'm terribly nervous. What's the worst that could possibly happen? I won't win. Boo hoo.

Here is a reason to celebrate - I'm right on schedule. Granted it is the first-one-didn't-work-so-I-made-a-new deadline that I'm celebrating being on schedule for, but it's still a celebration. I'm finished a day before my (albeit second) deadline. Yippee!

Well, with the excitement mounting, I must do my final reads and, hopefully submit. Have a wonderful Tuesday everyone!

No comments: