Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Long Post

Aaaaaand I'm back.

I'm still unwell, but not enough to keep me from work and editing. The sooner this editing schtick is over, the happier I'll be. Well, you all already know I'm not an editing fan.

Also, I wanted to say:

HAPPY (belated) THANKS-GIVING, CANADA.

I meant to write that Monday, when it was actually Thanks-giving, but I forgot. Sorry. It's been nine years in the country, and I'm still getting used to it.

My Thanks-giving weekend was very quiet. After the awesome dinner party J.M-B. threw for our friends, there was no one around for days. J.M-B. herself went up to her grandparents cottage. I went to bed, and there I stayed almost the entire weekend. Saturday I alternated between the couch and bed. I watched a great deal of Supernatural, a show I had just been recently introduced to. They're going on season six (right?) now, I think. I just finished watching season one this weekend. I have some serious catching up to do!

Sunday was much the same.

Monday was lovely. I managed to sleep in. I went out of the house for the first time that weekend to meet Dad for a Thanksgiving lunch in town. I tried to walk. That was a mistake. Quite normally I can walk from my house to downtown in a little over an hour. At the quarter-way mark, however, I stopped being able to breathe, so had to wait for the bus.

Annoying.

Lunch was wonderful. I was very non-traditional and went for the lamb. Lamb in the U.K. tends to be a spring thing, and in Australia it's an 'any time we feel like' thing. Here in Canada, not too many people eat lamb, and so for me it's a 'treating myself royally' thing. It was good lamb!

I found that I was so exhausted from being awake and active for the two hours over lunch (including travelling time) that I was too exhausted to do anything at all when I got home. I collapsed into bed and would have fallen asleep, except that J.M-B. arrived just a couple of minutes later. We ended up watching The Karate Kid. The new one. You know, where the lead character learns, uh, Kung Fu. I don't get why they called it The Karate Kid when it was clearly Kung Fu. In any case, it was a decent movie, actually. I was mildly impressed.

That evening J.M-B. taught me to knit. There we were, sitting on the couch, wrapped in blankets, drinking tea, and knitting while watching the telly while the cats happily roamed around. If 'crazy cat ladies' occurred to anyone else, you aren't alone.

Yep. It's official. We have become the quintessential crazy cat ladies. Now all I need to do is buy a rocking chair and a shot-gun and the image will be complete. Ah well. Any man I date will have to be mighty understanding.

The plan for this week is to rest (so that means no training) and edit. With any luck at all, I'll be done editing The Osprey and the Crow soon. Then I can submit it and forget about it. Likewise, hopefully The Dying God & Other Stories will be uploaded as planned and I'll be able to forget about it. Then I can stop editing and get back to writing. There are a number of ideas that are swirling around my head at break-neck speed right now, and I need to get them down soon. The insomnia is beginning to return.

On that note, I must get editing. It was a long blog post today. Sorry about that. Making up for three days of silence, I suppose. Have a great Tuesday everyone!

2 comments:

Anna L. Walls said...

Cats and balls of yarn - I'm surprised your knitting session didn't turn into a house knitting freeforall. My mom's cat would have tied the house into a web in no time. You haven't seen anything until you can't walk from one end of the house to the other until after you've spent at least 2 hours reclaiming your ball of yarn. And long-tailed cats and rocking chairs??? Not so sure about that. I won't even mention the shotgun, it's a given.

S.M. Carrière said...

The kittens are pretty mild when it comes to yarn, though they will chase it and get in the way very often!

Hah hah hah! After the first rock, the cat would get the picture! Besides, the rocking chair would be on the porch - the one the kids dare each other to touch every Hallowe'en....