Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Back to War

Dramatic title, no? Did you like it? I was going for "grab your attention" rather than "relates to post." Did it work?

This post might relate to the title if one considers writing "war." Really, all I'm saying is that I took the weekend of writing and now I'm rested, I'm going to write again. Instead of writing, I took a trip to my flatmate's cottage for one night and one day. I was participating in their annual "around the lake" race. It was fun!

It starts with cyclists, and they go around roughly two thirds of the lake. They hand off to a runner, who runs about 4kms. They, in turn, hand off to two people in a canoe, who high-tail it to where the kayaks are waiting. The kayak then takes the armband and races to where the swimmers are waiting, and the swimmers go about half a kilometre to the finish line.

I was the swimmer in my first ever around the lake race. Can I just say, I'm terrible! I used to swim a lot (I mean, a lot), so I figured half a kilometre would be nothing. Not so! Not five strokes in, I got a terrible cramp all down my left side and the best I could manage was slow breast-stroke for most of the way. I think I got the cramp for two reasons.
1. I was terribly unprepared for the chill of the water and should have gotten in a great deal sooner to warm up; and
2. I haven't swum in a very, very, very long time and I've lost the ability.

Something good did come of it though. I have decided to once again swim in the mornings. As soon as I have the funds, I'm buying a swim pass at my local community centre and I'm swimming for an hour before work - training for next year's race perhaps.

We arrived back quite late Saturday night. I slept like a log!

Sunday I took my Dad to see Inception. Great, great film. Di Caprio has been selecting very intelligent scripts, and I've got to say, I quite admire him for that. I won't spoil it for anyone, but you must go see it - if you haven't already. I also cleaned the house a bit.

Monday I did absolutely nothing except dream. I didn't put finger to keyboard (how could I? The laptop was off with its rightful owner at her work), I didn't put pen to paper, I didn't write at all. That's not to say that I didn't do anything associated with writing. Dreaming Monday was very productive indeed. I now know precisely how to write the opener for The Osprey and the Crow. Speaking of which, I really need to start that.

Thus I must stop my ramblings and bid you all a fond farewell. Happy Tuesday everyone!

No comments: