Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Monday, May 3, 2010

Book Review: House of Chains by Steven Erikson

I haven't done one of these in a while as I haven't had much time to read for pleasure. That being corrected, here is my latest book review!

House of Chains (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #4) House of Chains by Steven Erikson


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
He's done it again. After putting down this book for a long while because I so thoroughly loathed its opening character, I ended up cheering for that same character by the book's end.

Steven Erikson is a master of imagination, with an ability to draw one in that is, thus far, unparalleled by any other modern author I've read. Ever. His characters are so wonderfully complex, and not static at all, apt to change so that a brave man may become a coward, and a fool a wise man, that you find yourself believing in them.

Also, you know that an author has drawn you in when you start using the curses of his characters, no matter how nonsensical it may seem to the unknowing ear. The number of times I've muttered 'Fener's hairy balls!' or 'Beru Fend!' is getting obscene!

Drawing on the mythos of the books previously written (the mere mention of the name Coltaine is still able to drive grief-pangs through my chest), this tale is as delightful and dark as the others.

I highly, highly, highly (did I mention highly?) recommend this book, and this series to any lover of fantasy.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: