Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Monday, March 29, 2010

Welcome, Sweet Angel

Last week was an exciting week. I just learned this weekend that my good friend Leonie (of Goddess Guidebook - the link to which permanently resides on the left hand side of the blog) had a beautiful baby girl.

Welcome to the world Ostara F. A. Dawson.

She is a stunningly beautiful baby girl, with wide blue eyes. She was born to one of the most wonderful people I have ever known (probably two, since Chris seems like such a dear-heart, but I've never met him). I'm sure she'll be strong and happy and as bright a light in the world as her mother is.

My weekend was not nearly quite as exciting, but it was wondrously busy, full of friends and laughter. Granted, I didn't get much sleep, but it was well and truly worth it (strangely enough, I feel quite rested).

Friday night, my flatmate made the best chicken recipe I've ever tasted. It was a savoury cranberry chicken breast in a balsamic reduction. It was heaven! So very tasty! J.M-B. burnt the rice, but that's alright, there was salad to eat. For dessert we had chocolate fondu.... delicious! Deciding that Friday night was musical night, we watched Rent followed by the latest version of The Producers. I cried, the laughed. All up, a fabulous Friday night.

Saturday morning I was up early and ready to go to the sparring workshop. It was quite good, with everyone being extra careful not to hurt one another. I am a little disappointed by the turnout of girls. Only two of the promised five or so bothered to show up at all. Granted, the idea of sparring is terribly frightening.

I was terrified my first time and only attended because Sifu pretty much insisted. In any case, now I view it as an opportunity to try techniques and test out movements we learn to see how they may be applied and where and when would be a good time to apply them. With that outlook, sparring is nowhere near as scary as it used to be.

My Kung Fu brother M.F. from Montreal came down for a visit. He started with the school here in Ottawa, then moved to Montreal with his girlfriend. He has since opened a small school there and is doing very well. M.F. is a very jovial sort of person, the kind whose laugh can lighten any room. It was lovely to see him again. I haven't laughed so hard in a while.

Unfortunately, I had to teach Kung Fu in the afternoon, so I had no choice but to leave the sparring workshop early, and I missed out on the lunch afterwards. No fear, however, I managed to meet up with everyone at Sihing Chris' house to watch the U.F.C. Sihing, incidentally, means 'elder Kung Fu brother' though I've probably spelt that incorrectly. In any case, there was great home-made dessert and a lot of laughter.

It was wonderful to see everyone again. There were a few faces I really missed present Saturday night.

Sunday I met up with a dear friend, who I haven't seen in way too long. She and I wandered around the National Art Gallery here in Ottawa for a few hours and talked. I've missed her, and there's no good excuse to not see her more often - we live in the same city!

Afterwards, deciding that I didn't really want to wander home just yet, I walked into the movie theatre at the Rideau Centre and watched How to Train Your Dragon. It was a very sweet movie. Entirely predictable, but absolutely adorable.

I took the bus home because I was feeling lazy and didn't want to walk, collapsed into bed and didn't get up again until 8:15pm.

Now that was a very busy weekend! Hope yours was just as fun! Have a great Monday, there's stuff I need to do.

No comments: