Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Well, That Decides That

Hi all,

As most of you know, I entered the Terry Pratchett Prize with the first book of my two book series The Seraphimé Saga. The 6 (yes, only 6) shortlisted authors were to be announced today, having been informed of their making it by today. That italicised 'by' is important. It means if I haven't heard from them, I didn't make it. So, I suppose I didn't make it. I do have until the rest of today to hear from them, but let's be honest, my chances aren't that spectacular, are they?

I'll post a list of the shortlisted authors here as soon as I can find said list. I did a quick Google search, and couldn't find any mention of it. I guess they haven't been announced yet.

In the meantime, I'll be preparing my manuscript for submission to agents and publishing houses. I'm sad, but not devastated. Even if I'm never published, I'm still writing. I have a job that lets me write, do my martial arts (and other stuff), a roof over my head, food on my table and fabulous friends. I do mean fabulous.

On a completely unrelated note, I think I'm going insane. Somewhere down the hall, in the office across the way, someone keeps letting off a short blast of an air-horn. At least, every so often, I'm hearing the short blast of an air-horn. It's as intriguing as it is annoying.

While on the subject of noise, here's today's Forgotten English:

Drumsler:

A drummer. A form corrupted from drumslager ... Dutch trommelslager.
- Walter Skeat's Glossary of Tudor and Stuart Words, 1914.

Right, I'm off to watch something funny to cheer myself up.

No comments: