Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Friday, March 18, 2011

Fluffy Friday ... I Think Not.

I was going to bore you all with a bit of fluff about my writing.

Then I read this article. I cried. Those amazing, brave people. I am in awe of them. They are heroes in every way, shape and form.

I don't believe in God, but today I am praying. I don't have faith in humanity, but today I am humbled before it. The Fukushima 50 (200, really) have my heart and my prayers. Spare yours.

On that note, there are many things people around the world are doing to help. An amazing composer, Thomas Bergersen, one of the musical geniuses behind Two Steps from Hell, is releasing a few singles from his upcoming and highly anticipated (by me, at least) album, Illusions, early on iTunes. 100% of the proceed from these early purchases will go to the Red Cross to help with the crisis in Japan. I tend not to throw the word 'genius' around lightly, so when I say he's amazing, then you have to understand that I mean he's A-MAZ-ING with multiple exclamation marks.

Yesterday, I mentioned Writers for the Red Cross. I'm mentioning them again. Do check them out. It's a brilliant organisation.

Google is getting in on the action with a donation line available via this site. The link is also permanently plastered to the top banner of this blog.

There are many other ways you can help. Watch this if you need a little inspiration.

I am heartened by the compassion and action people have taken in response to the crisis in Japan. Humans have never been my favourite species. Truth is, I prefer spiders most of the time. However, sometimes, when I see the things I mentioned above, I think there's hope for us after all.

On that note, here's today's Forgotten English:

Basket of Chips:

A metaphor for a pleasant experience, perhaps because a supply of chips gives promise of a good fire.
- Richard Thornton's American Glossary, 1912

I think this is quite appropriate. Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

No comments: