Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Friday, March 11, 2011

Fever Broke, and so is Japan

I was intending to spend today celebrating as my fever finally broke yesterday. The sensation was instant - like clouds parting. I did a happy dance right then and there.

I was also going to wax lyrical about how awful it is outside, and how grateful I am to J.M-B. for letting me use her gumboots (and for fitting into said gumboots) as the puddles out there are actually the size of small ponds, and I was often wading shin deep through them to get to the bus today.

Then I get to work this morning to find that Japan has been hit with a monstrous 8.9 earthquake. 8.9. And then they were also hit by a 30ft tsunami that resulted from the quake. Pictures of Japan show a gruesome scene. The tsunami sparked by the earthquake is on its way to the USA's west coast.

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Japan, and with everyone who has been or will be affected by the tsunami.

It's times like this I wish I had tonnes of money - I could jump on a plane and rush over to help in whatever way I could.

On that very sombre note, I did promise to catch up on all the Forgotten English I had missed due to illness. Thus:

Wednesdays' Forgotten English:
Cassock:
A long, close-fitting frock or tunic worn by Anglican clergymen ... sometimes worn by vergers, choristers, and others engaged in ecclesiastical functions.
- Sit James Murray's New English Dictionary, 1893
(Since when is 'cassock' forgotten? It might be I know it 'cause I read a lot of Fantasy. Even still, forgotten?)

Thursday's Forgotten English:
Woofits:
The unpleasant aftereffects of overindulgence, especially drinking.
- Lester Berrey's American Thesaurus of Slang, 1941.
(I recall Grandma using this once or twice, but I forget the context)

And today's Forgotten English:
Hortyard:
A garden or orchard.
- James Halliwell's Dictionary of Archaic and Provincial Words, 1855.

There. All caught up. Try to have a happy weekend if you can. And if you can, spare a thought and a prayer for Japan and her neighbours.

No comments: