Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Monday, March 14, 2011

Book Review: Almost French

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A light, easy read that I found I could relate to.

I don't normally read memoirs. This one was given to me by my flatmate. The tale is an Australian woman's struggle to adapt to the life and attitudes of Paris.

Though I didn't move to Paris, there were many passages in the book that I could relate to. Most notably, the open, frank manner of Australians, versus, well, other cultures.

More than once, my blunt manner has gotten me into some trouble over here in Canada.

I suspect I enjoyed it purely because I can relate to it in a fairly major fashion. All the same, it's a great read of 'when cultural expectations collide.'

If you have a spare afternoon, pick it up. It's a short, cutesy read that goes well with a light, fruity white.


And today's Forgotten English is:

Englottogaster:
(I kid you not)

One who speaks from his belly; a ventriloquist.
- William Turton's Medical Glossary, 1802

Engastrimyth, one who appears to speak in the belly; a ventriloquist.
- Sir Jame Murray's New English Dictionary, 1901.

Well, no wonder this word isn't used anymore! Just for fun, I'm going to slide it into a conversation and see what reaction I get.

Also, for those of you so inclined, there is now a link on the top of this blog for you to donate the the Japanese Red Cross to aid their disaster relief efforts (through Google). It doesn't have to be a huge amount. Every little bit helps.

Righto, that's it from me, have a lovely Monday everyone.

No comments: