Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Reading and Writing

Looking back over this past week, I have to say, I'm impressed with myself. I read quite a few books in a short space of time. Granted, none of the books were overly dense, so they were easy reads.

I really should read more often. Everyone should read more often. Ahhhh.... books.

There is one thing I noticed while reading. Holding something in my hand, physically turning the pages, feeling the weight, and the texture of the paper, the smell of the book... nothing beats that. Oh I know e-readers are hugely popular and getting even more so. Honestly, I can see their appeal. If I went travelling, I wouldn't have to lug along heavy books that might set my luggage weight over the acceptable range. I'd just bring along an e-reader and *poof! hundreds of books at my fingertips. It's terribly convenient.

However, if I'm at home, then I want nothing more than a hot cuppa and heavy book in my lap. I dream of having a room filled with books from floor to ceiling - actual, heavy, inconvenient but oh so wonderful books.

Whether I'm rich or poor, my home, whenever I get it, will have a library. It's so important to me that there is a library.

Le sigh.

Alright, enough with the daydreaming.

Yesterday marked day 1 of my return to writing. I made a start on Overlord (Book 4 of The Great Man series). It went much more smoothly than I expected. I wrote the entire Prologue and reached my 3 000 word quota all before lunch. I felt pretty good about myself yesterday!

Today I'm torn. I don't know if I should write the Epilogue (as I already know how it's going to go) or get started on the body of the thing. I think I might start on the body, as Julian is practically screaming at me.

On that note, here's today's Forgotten English:

Englishable:

That may be rendered into English.
- John Ogilvie's Imperial Dictionary, 1865

Capable of being translated into, or expressed in, English.
- Sir James Murray's New English Dictionary, 1897

I think this word might be my favourite so far! I'm off now to write. Have a wonderful Wednesday all!

No comments: