Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Thor's Day

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

It had to be said, and now it is.

There is some pretty neat stuff happening amongst writers.

Thanks to the blog Writing While the Rice Boils, I have learnt that writers can now reach out and help the victims of the earthquake and tsunami. Writer's for the Red Cross is a brilliant programme that allow writers to auction for critiques, consultations with agents and other really very cool things. If you're a writer, click the link and lend a hand. If you're not a writer, they have books up for grabs. A pick of one of many free books for every $25.00 donated, or visit the bookshop, and 5% from every sale goes to the Red Cross. Brilliant!

Alright, so, onto writing news. I'm slowing down a bit. I did get to my 3 000 words. However, it took me a while to get there. Quite normally I'm done before lunch. It took me an hour after lunch to finish up. I suppose I shouldn't complain. Having the opportunity and time to write is actually an incredible blessing.

I judged a short story competition immediately following finishing up my 3 000 words. The quality of these stories continue to increase, even if they didn't quite stick to the genre. I was impressed.

That meant, of course, I didn't have time to look at the edits the first of my Beta Readers sent me for The Third Prince. With luck, I'll get to that today.

Righto, on that note, here is todays Forgotten English:

Viduity:

Widowhood; from Latin viduus.
- Sammuel Johnson's Dictionary of the English Language, 1755.

Wow. I didn't know this one was forgotten!

No comments: