Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Friday, April 1, 2011

Happy April Fools

I want to come up with a prank, but find that I just don't have the imagination for it. I can envision a three day battle, but can't come up with something vaguely amusing to punk friends and family with. It's odd, and a little annoying!

Today, I shall continue my writing break by watching more comedy panel shows. For those of you who do not watch them, start. They are hysterically funny. I have three that I am currently addicted to:

Argumental - aired on "Dave" and some episodes have been picked up by the BBC. At the moment Dave has axed the show (after several absolutely golden seasons). There is a campaign by fans to bring it back. We'll have to see. In the meantime, catch up. Start at season 1. You won't be sorry. It's bloody hilarious!

Qi - the quiz master is Stephen Fry. Need I say more? There are currently 8 seasons, so get stuck in. They're so much fun, and actually really, really, really educational. Did you know the earth has more than one moon? Now you do, thanks to Qi!

Mock the Week - a panel show that is also news satire. As it's British, it focuses on British news (well, duh). It's still hysterical, and I'm currently working my way through the seasons, and loving it. Hosted by Dara Ó Briain, who is a very intelligent (which translates to extremely funny) host, it's well worth the watching!

Right, rather unfunnily, here's today's Forgotten English:

Screwed In
A preactical joke was to [secure] someone's door from the outside with long coffin-screws. The victim was said to be screwed in or screwed up. Hence, screwed up came to mean defeated, baffled, incapable of retaliation. Oxford.
- Morris Marples' University Slang, 1950.

No comments: