Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Something About Some Stuff

My father, you'll all be pleased to know, has had his surgery and is doing well. He should be home sometime today, although there was talk of keeping him at the hospital for one more night. He was not pleased about that. We'll find out today what they've decided.

I have been discussing names of the imaginary horses that my sister and I will one day own. I "have" a Baroque Friesian mare I've named Gypsy. My sister "has" a Percheron. She was looking for a name. I suggested Vercingetorix. Let's face it, if you want an epic name that screams "warrior," you have to use the name of the famous Chieftain of the Averni tribe. The one man who managed to unite much of Gaul and give the invading Romans a very, very difficult time. Too late, of course. He lost eventually. Still, that is an epic name. I've decided to steal that idea. If I get a draft horse, I'm definitely naming him Vercingetorix.

My sister's Vercingetorix:


My Vercingetorix:


You can't really tell here, but these horses are HUGE. We had a pair pull the wagon at the sugar bush. I had to look up to look the horse in the eye.

Imaginary horses are fun.

Not as much fun as the real things, of course. Speaking of which, I have to email my Equestrian Archery coach. There are lessons to organise!

Writing is going very well. I made my daily 3 000 yesterday and will strive for the same today. The Seraphimé Saga is having less luck. I've managed to garner two rejections in less than a week. I have another query out now, but we'll just have to wait. Perhaps it will be third time lucky. Perhaps not. Trying to get published as a giant nobody really, really, really bites.

Just so you know.

Right, I have to get on with it, and so do you, probably. So, here's today's Forgotten English:

Panshard

A passion, a rage. In a panshard, in a rage, out of temper. Pansheet, at state of excitement, confusion, sudden passion. Panshite in West Yorkshire.
- Jospeh Wright's English Dialect Dictionary, 1898-1905

You have no need to get into a panshard.
- John Wise's New Forest: Its History and Its Scenery, 1883

I'm off to write, then. See you later!

No comments: