Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Move Along, There's Nothing to See Here

The walk home yesterday was horrific! Not only did it rain on me, twice, but I was witness to a traffic collision (no one was seriously injured) and had a bus splash me head to toe with filthy road water.

Happily, I received a hat out of it all.

Let's hope that today's journey is much less eventful.

I wrote very well yesterday, getting my 3 000 words in before lunch. I think that I'm almost done. I think. I hope. Please, for the love of all that is good in this world, let me be almost finished this book!

Ahem.

I should get back to writing. Here is today's Forgotten English for you logophiles:

Cucking-Stool

A chair in which an offender was placed to be hooted at or pelted by the mob; or it might be used for ducking its occupant; from Icelandic kuka, to ease oneself, and kukr, dung.
- Charles Annandale's Dictionary of the English Language, 1897

An instrument of punishment formerly in use for scolds, disorderly women, fraudelent tradespeople, etc.
- Sir James Murray's New English Dictionary, 1893.

No comments: