Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Daydreaming of Horses

I really do want that Baroque Friesian, you know...

Well, I'll just dream about owning one. A mare. And I've called her Gypsy. A lovely name for a horse, isn't it? Sigh.

Oh, right, back to reality. Reality is so overrated! In it, I have no horse, no house of my own, and no publishing deal.

I think I'll stick to dreaming if it's all the same to you...

Writing yesterday went well. I did get to my 3 000 words, and will hopefully be doing the same today. I have to say, however, that my mind has been much engaged with this new project of mine, the one that will be offered as donation only. It appears, from early daydreams, that this will be more of a Sci Fi effort. We'll see when it comes down to the writing.

There isn't much else to say. A relief, I'm sure, since the last post was so long. Thus, here is today's Forgotten English:

Quill-Driver

A scrivener, a clerk; satirical phrase similar to "steel bar driver," a tailor.
- John Hotten's Slang Dictionary, 1887

A clerk, scribe, or hackney writer. Brother of the quill, an author.
- Francis Grose's Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue, 1796

And I shall leave it here. Have a wonderful Tuesday everyone!

2 comments:

Pam Asberry said...

S.M., I just spent a few minutes catching up with your blog posts. You are a fascinating woman! I haven't read much fantasy since college - don't know why, really - but I went ahead and bought a copy of your book. I read the opening poem and about half of the first story and I wanted you to know that I am enjoying it very much. It is well written and your artwork is beautiful! I think it's important for us new writers to support each other, and I will do everything I can to get the word out. In the meantime, keep writing and don't give in to those feelings of encouragement. You will get that Baroque Friesian one of these days!

S.M. Carrière said...

Why, thank-you, Pam! Both for the purchase of the book and the compliments.

I am an unabashed geek, and just adore Fantasy... so long as it's engaging. Sometimes, some Fantasy is quite terrible. This is true for any genre, I suppose.

I do hope you like the rest of the book. Do let me know which is your favourite story!