Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Friday, April 29, 2011

Need Sleep!

Good morning world! I'm so exhausted right now, I just want to curl up in a nice warm bed with a lovely cuppa tea and listen to some relaxing music and then drifting off to sleep.

It was a later night than usual last night and, no, it wasn't because of the Royal Wedding. I didn't stay up to watch that. To be perfectly honest, I'm not really bothered about the whole affair. It's not that I don't like the Royal Family, it's really that I don't bother thinking about them a whole lot. I'm apathetic.

In any case, the reason I'm so darn tired today is that I went to bed later than usual. Had friends over for tea and a chat, and it was pretty late by the time I crawled into bed. Then, the cats decided to yowl beginning at 5:30 or so this morning. It's their way of getting attention for no reason whatsoever. They had food, they had water, they just wanted to tick me off, I'm sure!

I tend not to write very efficiently when tired, so I doubt I'll make my daily 3 000. I probably won't need to in any case, as I think the rest of the book has been pretty much written. I'll need to fill in some places, and rewrite in others, but I think I'm pretty much done.

Unfortunately, I won't be finished this week. I'll be able to close Overlord and leave it alone for a few months early next week, I think.

Oivey, but this rewriting is a long business! Oh well, there's nothing for it. Must plod on.

I'd better get started, actually. Here's today's Forgotten English:

Calenture

A distemper peculiar to sailors in hot climates wherein they imagine the sea to be green fields, and the throw themselves into it if not restrained.
- Samuel Johnsons' Dictionary of the English Language, 1755

A species of furious delirium to which sailors are subject in the torrid zone; a kind of phrenitis, the attack of which comes on suddenly after a broiling day.
- Robley Dunglison's Dictionarly of Medical Science, 1844

From French calenture, heat; from Latin caleo, to be hot.
- John Ridpath's Home Reference Library, 1898.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you!

For reasons, known only to God and Dr. Phil, I tend to spend TOO much of my weekend awake. Especially Friday going into Saturday. Thing is, that is my LEAST productive time. So, what time I spend piddling around on the net, I should spend getting rested up!

I will be doing that tonight, though, as I'm coming down with a bit of a cold and I want to nip it in the bud. (DROWN IT in Neo-Citran).

Nighty Night!

S.M. Carrière said...

I don't know what it is about Fridays...

I hope you cold gets better soon!

Pam Asberry said...

I didn't watch the royal wedding, either. I am happy for Kate and William, but I feel pretty far removed from the whole affair. Hope you are getting some good rest this weekend. You deserve it!

S.M. Carrière said...

Thanks! I had a very restful weekend. How was yours?

I feel the same. I'm happy for them, but it doesn't really concern me. I do have to say, though, that it was fun to get dressed up and hang out with friends.