Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Friday, April 8, 2011

Home at Last!

My flatmate's home! It makes me very happy to have her back. I've missed her a great deal. The cats were less than impressed, however. Persephone, normally an incredibly affectionate feline, did everything she could to avoid J. M.-B.

I did mean to make this blog post a rant about something, but I can't remember what I wanted to rant about. It mustn't be import.

Writing went fairly well yesterday. I did some serious haul-arse and am now only 2 000 words behind schedule. That means, if I write 2 000 today, I'll be right on target if we assume I usually take Friday's off. I can do that. I think.

There isn't much else to say. I've emailed my Equestrian Archery trainer and hope to start lessons soon. I'm aiming for the first Monday in May to start. Seems like as good a time as any.

I'll be back at training next week (thank heavens!).

Uh... that's about it. Righy-o, time for today's Forgotten English.

Stand Mute

A prisoner is said to stand mute when, being arraigned for treason or felony, he either makes no answer, or answers foreign to the purpose. Anciently, a mute was taken back to prison, placed in a dark dungeon, naked, on his back, on the bare ground, and a great weight of iron placed on his body ... By statute 12 George III, judgment is awarded against mutes, in the same manner as if they were convicted or confessed. A man refusing to plead was condemned and executed ... on a charge of burglary, at Wells, 1792.
- Joseph Haydn's Dictionary of Dates, 1841

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments: