Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Thursday, April 7, 2011

What Day is It?

Oh, yes. Thursday. I had to check my calendar. That's what happens when I don't go to training - I lose track of days. It's rather annoying, actually. Ah well, with my Dad safely home from the hospital, I should be back at training next week.

Writing has been... well... going. Despite writing a fair amount yesterday, a massive clean up of the manuscript meant that I deleted (read here, cut and pasted into a 'Cut From Overlord' document) about 25 000 words. Luckily for me, I had roughly the same amount pasted into a 'Cut From The Great Man' document that I had always intended to be included in the new version of Overlord that I could paste back in. However, I am 4 000 words behind target now, and the last 21 000 odd words make a complete mess of the time line. Sigh. The work will never end!

Well, it will, after I get another 30 000 odd words down in this book, another 100 000 odd words down in the next book, and rewrite the final book, and lordy knows how many thousands of words I'll need then.

I'm at the 'KILL ME NOW' stage of writing. It'll pass just as soon as I finish this book and take an extended break. Then I get to work on Puppet Master, and I'm quite looking forward to that. I get to be as dark and evil as I like. Mwah hah hah hah hah!

Right, I should get started on my writing. Here's today's Forgotten English:

Cheap-Jack

A travelling hawker, who sells by Dutch auction, i.e., reduces the price of his wares until he finds a purchaser. [From] Anglo-Saxon chepe, a market. Sometimes cheap-John.
- Albert Hyamson's Dictionary of English Phrases, 1922

Cheap-jackery, that which is characteristic of a cheap-jack.
- Sir James Murray's New English Dictionary, 1893

No offence, Sir Murray, but no duh...

I'm off to write. Enjoy your Thursday everyone!

No comments: