Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Writing News

Yesterday was a busy day for writing news. A total of two separate pieces of news came in. For me, that's quite a lot.

The first little bit of news is that I sent another query off. I'm not telling anyone who because I think I've jinxed it quite enough by telling you that it was sent in the first place. I quite like this agent. Mostly it's because of his web-address. It cracks me up.

Second little bit of news is that I will be reading a short story at an upcoming literary festival. The 4th annual Stellar Literary Festival will be held on the 27th of June from 11:00am - 4:00pm. I will be reading from 1:20pm - 1:30pm. I'm yet to select a short story, and then I have to time myself reading, and then I have to practice, and then I will be hoping like hell that I don't screw up, or fall flat on my face, or something. Needless to say, not having done much public speaking at all since High School, I scared witless. I got so nervous just thinking about reading one of my stories in public that I started a nervous sweat just sitting in my chair. However, I think this experience will be good for me.

I ordered a bunch of business cards, which arrived on Monday. So now I am prepared for the festival... sort of.

The lady running the festival, Stella, is a lovely person. I can't wait to meet her in person, instead of just speaking via email.

In other, not-writing related, news, my sister arrives in from Australia tonight. I am very excited to see her! Unfortunately for her, it's turned out to be quite cold for a June day, much like when I first arrived in Canada. It was cold and raining and I was thinking 'and this is their summer?!' I hope she's prepared! There are many exciting activities planned for her. We'll be going to an Aerial Adventure Park on the weekend. We're also going rock-climbing, and she'll be coming to at least one training session with me. I am so very excited!

Right, there is work to be done, so I should go do it. Happy Wednesday all!

No comments: