Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Dear Steven

You don't know who I am, and chances are, you're not likely to ever know. I don't care, I'm writing this love letter anyway.

Oh, you're probably married with a nice house and a few kids, so to make you feel at ease, it's not technically you I love. I am in love with your books. You see, not since I first read Tolkien have I been so enthralled, so captivated by a world. It has been a long time since I've read any fantasy novel so wholly original and creative, so visceral and detailed, so horrifically real and gut-wrenching.

You sir, are a master of your craft, Mr. Erikson. The Malazan Book of the Fallen series is brilliance printed onto and bound in paper. Your complex stories are a marvel to behold.

I stand in utter awe of the tale you have spun, though I am not all the way through yet. I can only hope to approximate the sophistication in detail and style that you have proven is still possible, even amidst flights of fancy.

Sadly few amongst my circle of friends have even heard of you (strange though I find it!). It is a situation I am attempting to remedy with much haste.

Thank-you so much for the most amazing read I've had in such a long time. Most writers aspire to write. You have inspired me to create art with words.

Love always,
A HUGE fan and admirer.

No comments: