Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sudden Insomniac

Last night I couldn't sleep. This, despite being exhausted from crying almost all night. Hey, I'm allowed one day of abject misery, alright? It was weird. This rejection really affected me; much more so than the others.

In any case, I was up pretty much all night. So I ventured into the living room to nick a moment with the laptop. The reason?

I'm thinking of going back to school.

I've wanted to do a Masters for a while, and I struck on an interesting thesis idea (one of many), but I need the foundation for it first. So I'm thinking B.A. General, English Major with a minor in Celtic Studies (I pretty much already have that minor from my previous stint in university).

There is a catch, however. I cannot afford to go back to school - even with the aid of OSAP, so I'm desperately hoping that the university will allow me to work full time and study full time - like a same-city distance education degree... or something.

For some reason, universities haven't really been accommodating in that regard to date.

In any case, those are my current thoughts.

Writing-wise, I did manage my daily 3 000, though it was a struggle because I was so upset and distracted.

Today marks the day when I would have reached the 100 000 word mark, had I kept on schedule. Instead, I'm less than three quarters through.

It makes me sad.

Oh well! There's nothing for me but to soldier on. And there's nothing left of this post but the Forgotten English.

Dringle

To waste time in a a lazy lingering manner. It has exactly the same sense as drumble, which Mrs. Ford uses in The Merry Wives of Windsor, in [be]rating her servants for not being more nimble in carrying off the [laundry]-basket. Had that merry gossip been an East Angle, she must have said dringle.
- Rev. Robert Forby's Vocabulary of East Anglia, 1830

2 comments:

Debbie Maxwell Allen said...

Well, you absolutely have NOT been dringling--your 3K a day makes me ashamed! You'll get it done, and the ups and downs you experience in the meantime will likely deepen the story.

Hang in there!

~Debbie

S.M. Carrière said...

Thanks so much, Debbie. This latest rejection has called into question my very ability to write - the very structure of my series... I just don't know whether I can publish it anymore.

We'll see...