Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Almost Done!

Well, yesterday I typed the final words of the body of Puppet Master.

Yippee!

I wrote almost 4 000 words yesterday. It should have tipped me well over the 100 000 word mark. As you can tell by the word meter on the right of your screen, however, it didn't happen. That's largely because there were 3 000 words of previously written scene that was just absolute rubbish and had to go.

It's gone now.

I appreciate that such culls make the book less rubbish, but it's still sad to see all that work go to waste.

Le sigh.

Quite normally, I have the Prologue written before I write the final lines of the body of a book. Not this time. Inspiration for the Prologue seems to be decidedly lacking. Still, I'll endeavour to slog it out. There should be a Prologue written by the end of today. If I manage it, I'll write the Epilogue tomorrow, and that'll be the book done.

And then I'll party like it's 1999. Seriously! I can finally put all this awful stuff behind me for a few months and work on something lighter for a while. That would be bliss.

Incidentally, I thought I had a killer closing for Puppet Master, but I find myself a little disappointed. Here it is:

The Son closed his eyes and took a deep breath. In his deep, silken voice, he softly said:

“I surrender.”

Tell me what you think.

I really should get started on the Prologue. No idea what it's going to be about yet. Slight lie - I have a vague idea. But only vague.

Celibatarian

Inclined to, or favouring, celibacy.
- Sir James Murray's New English Dictionary, 1893

A person who is unmarried; [a] celebatist.
- John Ogilvie's Comprehensive English Dictionary, 1865

How is that forgotten? I totally knew that and have heard and used it in conversation. Hmmm....

No comments: