Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Pretty Good, All in All

I'm really rather chuffed with myself. I managed to write 3 000 words yesterday (finishing just as it was time to go home), despite my very, very late - as in after lunch late - start to writing.

Of course, I'm still roughly 30 000 words behind target.

It feels so good to be writing again. I was smiling all the way through yesterday, even though I'm building up to a beloved character's death.

He dies bravely, you should know.

Bleh! Enough of the depressing stuff. It's too beautiful a morning for mourning. I'm still celebrating my 3 000 words. It's a big deal. I've been away from writing for what feels like an age!

There isn't much else to say, except that after two whole weeks away, and barring any unforeseen issues, I'll be back to training tonight. It's a scary thought. I have to say, I've quite enjoyed my break from training, even though the first week I felt (and looked, apparently) like death warmed over. Sometimes it's nice to have a quiet evening with nothing on the cards but movies and kitten cuddles.

I'm not nearly as aggravated being away from training as I usually get. I credit this with a wonderful weekend at the lakes, far, far, far away from the city, with the wonderful host of people that is my family. All the same, I should get back to training. I miss the people and, to be honest, I really like the training.

I also should get back to writing. Those 3 000 words aren't going to write themselves. Thus, today's Forgotten English:

Unsex

To deprive of sex or sexual character; transformation in respect to sex; usually with reference to a woman, [to] make masculine.
- William Whitney's Century Dictionary, 1889

To make otherwise than the sex commonly is.
- John Walker's Dictionary and Expositor of the English Language, 1835

Come, you spirits that tend on mortal thoughts, unsex me here.
- William Shakespeare's Macbeth, 1605

Oh, also, before I forget, The Dying God has finished it's serialised run at All Things Books. I have the links up HERE in case you wanted to go through and read each section. It's a free story, so why not?

No comments: