Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Just One of Those Days

It's only early on a Thursday morning, but I'm already in a foul mood. I blame Galahad, who insisted on walking around the house, meowing like mad, and scratching at my suitcase and my closet door alternatively. At 4:00 in the morning.

He usually does this if his food or water bowl is empty, or if the litter needs to be cleaned. I emptied the litter last night, so it wasn't that. I went and check his food and water stocks. Both good.

Nope, he just wanted to be a little [expletive retracted].

The result is this:

Not only am I sore as all heck from training on Tuesday night, my stomach still a little upset from over-training Tuesday night, but I'm also exhausted and cranky. And I have training again tonight.

Nice.

I'm done complaining! No, seriously. All done. Feeling a bit better now that I have that off my chest!

In writing news, I'm not doing too badly. I made my 3 000 words just after lunch yesterday (thank-you, early start time). Much of what I wrote didn't help my upset tummy.

Does any other writer reread their stuff and think that there must be something wrong with them? I mean, what I wrote turned my stomach a little when I read it. How could I have written it? More pressing is how twisted must my imagination be to come up with that stuff?

Gross!

I'm not giving anything away except to say, the Captain of the Guard is an evil, evil person and poor, poor Xander.

Le sigh.

Right, I have to go kill some characters now. That will make me feel better. Have a great Thursday.

Newdicle

Something new; just as a miracle is something wonderful. A fanciful and licentious fabrication, perhaps never used at all seriously.
- Robert Forby's Vocabulary of East Anglia, 1830

2 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

Hi! I'm writing a romance series, following a family over decades and of course, I have to have some beloved secondary characters bite the dust. Because they are love stories, I don't have any graphic death scenes, rather I'm telling stories from other characters' POVs.
I remember some Rona Jaffe novels from the '80s, though where she had you absolutely fall in love with a main character and she'd kill her off at the end. She fooled me twice, but the third book, I read the last bit and saw she did it there too!
May your characters' deaths be honorable, not causing the reader to throw the book across the room!

S.M. Carrière said...

The character's death was very honourable, and beautiful and so, so hard to get through! I literally wept as I typed!

Ugh! What I wouldn't give to be more removed from the characters I create!

Also, I have thrown a book down in disgust over a character's death before. Most recently when reading George R.R. Martin's 'Song of Ice and Fire' series. Boy, was I ever furious with that death!

That's a sign of a good writer though, I think. If you end up caring about a character's fate so much that their death actually rocks you....

Strange as it seems, I'd be happy if I got that reaction from readers!