Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Friday, August 12, 2011

Fallen Behind Already

Yesterday was a terrible day for writing. I only managed about 1 500 words, as you can tell from the handy bright green word count metre on the side there. --->

In my defence, I was in a bad mood, and needed some humour to cheer myself up. Clearly I got distracted by Qi.

That means today I must write about 1 500 words to make it up. So much for Friday's off.

Le sigh!

Well, mustn't complain. Things could always be much worse. I suppose I ought to get to it.

Spalpeen

A wanderer. A term of contempt for a man; [also] used without contempt; [from] spailp'n, a worthless fellow, a migratory labourer.
- Michael Traynor's English Dialect of Donegal, 1953

Spal, in Irish, is a scythe, and peen a penny - that is, a mower for a penny a day.
- Arthyr Young's Tour in Ireland, 1780

No comments: