Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Catchy Title Escapes Me

Well, today marks day two of writing Ethan Cadfael (The Battle Prince). It started off very seriously, but I will hopefully be lightening the mood a little shortly.

I'll probably be less enthused about this project after the first month of writing, as usually seems to be the case, but I am still thrilled to be working on something unrelated to The Great Man. It's a fresh world with a fresh set of characters and none of the angst and melancholy of the afore-mentioned series.

You'll note that I have shortened the expected length of the book considerably from my other novels. Instead of my usual 100 000 words, I've estimated that this one will probably run closer to 75 000 words. I have a feeling that it might be a good deal shorter than that.

As always, I'll just have to wait and see. It might turn out to be much longer. Who knows? Should I prove correct, I'll likely be finished near the end of next month, assuming that I keep up my 3 000 words a day, giving myself Fridays (and weekends) off.

Then, it's left alone until October, edited and formatted and then off to the Beta Readers... when I find them. Then it's time to create covers, change formatting for eBook and print formats and then self-publish. Hopefully in time for Christmas, but if not, then it's not really that big a deal.

I'm on track as far as word count goes. Of course I am. I'm only on day two. We'll see how on track I am at the end of the month, shall we?

Well, I probably should get writing. If I make my mark, and there's time left over, I'll be doing more catch-up on Qi. Gosh, I love that show.

Go to Peckham

To go to dinner. A pun on peck.
- Albert Hyamson's Dictionary of English Phrases, 1922

No comments: