Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Monday, August 29, 2011

A Dull-ish Weekend

You know those lives in which nothing exciting happens? Yeah... sometimes I feel like I'm living one (which is ridonkulous - I do so many cool things, it's not funny).

I'd love to excitedly tell you about an agent who wanted read more of my manuscript, or having met someone I just can't get out of my head.

I've got nothing. I spent most of this weekend in bed, trying to get my lower back to stop aching. It's been hurting for the better part of a fortnight. Woah... when did I turn into an eighty-year-old? Do I honestly have nothing more exciting to do than grumble about my latest ache? Man... time for a switch-up!

Here's some awesomely good news that I heard via my father on Sunday. My kid bro is thinking of moving over here in October! Yay! That makes me happy! I can't wait to introduce him to the Kung Fu gang!

There really isn't anything else. It's back to writing today, after a good long break. If I stay on target, I ought to kick the pants out of the half-way mark. If not, oh well. There's always catch up time on Friday, I suppose.

I should get to it. Oh, since I forgot to prepare a post for Saturday, you lucky ducks get two Forgotten English entries today.

Boniform

Of a good nature or character; from Latin bonus, good, and forma, shape.
- Edward Lloyd's Encyclopaedic Dictionary, 1895

A faculty by which moral goodness is appreciated; from Latin boniformis.
- Sir James Murray's New English Dictionary , 1893

Batten

To fatten, or grow fat. In Stenberg's Folk Lore and Glossary of Northamptonshire [1851], the local phrase is quoted, "Them pigs batten in the sun."
- Charles Mackay's Lost Beauties of the English Language, 1874

Fattening and battening, a toast of a child's fattening and thriving given at its baptism in private, when the bread, cheese and whisky are partaken of.
- Alexander Warrack's Scots Dialect Dictionary, 1911.

No comments: