Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Good Kind of Utter Exhaustion

Man am I tired! My muscles hurt like they haven't in a long time, and I could just curl up in bed right now and go back to sleep. It would form a bad habit, though. I'm already having trouble waking up, most especially if the cat curls up with me. For some reason, I find her weight against me so soothing that it sends me into the deepest, most untroubled kind of sleep providing the most comic, unwelcome, damn-it-I'm-late kind of wake up.

Luckily, the buses are running, and I got to work on time. I even managed to take out the rubbish this morning... though I forgot the recycling. Damn.

In any case, I'm here. I'm sore, and I'm tired, but it's the best kind of sore and tired. The right kind of muscular pain can be quite satisfactory. In my case, I feel like I've accomplished something - hours of really good training, for example.

Mentally, I'm not even a little fatigued. My imagination has been going strong, and my fingers are struggling to keep up. In the happiest news in a long time, I'm almost a quarter of the way through writing Puppet Master. A quarter! In just ten days of writing.

That's crazy amounts of progress.

I'm not sure how I managed it, or even what the quality is like - I'll find out when it comes time to edit, I'm sure - but I'm really enjoying the writing at the moment. I feel like I can just turn my brain off and let my fingers fly. That might not last, however.

So, though I'm well ahead of where I need to be, I'll keep striving for 3 000 words to save up some time-off should I ever need it. That way, I can take the time I need and not stress that I'm falling behind my deadline (albeit self-imposed).

Speaking of, I should get back to it, so here's today's Forgotten English:

Dead-Nip

A blue mark in the body, not produced by a bloc, contusion, or any known cause ... sometimes called a witch's nip.
- John Jamieson's Etymological Dictionary of the Scottish Language, 1808

No comments: