Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Friday, May 27, 2011

Ahhhhh!

That, ladles and jelly-spoons, was a sigh of satisfaction.

I am up 5 000 words on my target for the week, meaning that I can take to day off and not worry. I could also take Monday off writing, and still be starting the week 2 000 words ahead of schedule.

I'm feeling awfully smug about it right now, which has me worried. Will there be another terrible bout of writer's block in this book? This was the section of story, after all, that I had a severe six month argument with.

So far, things look on the up and up. If I manage to keep pace, I could be finished my rough draft well before the planned date of 12 July, 2011 (assuming a word count of 100 000). Then I'll only have one more book to write.

If I manage to write that as quickly, I'll be finished the rough draft in a little less than three months. That means the series will finally be complete this year.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. One goal at a time.

Since I can take to today off, I'm using the time as an opportunity to catch up on other obligations. There is a short story competition needing judging, so I'd best get on that. For now, here is today's Forgotten English:

Butternuts

A term applied during the Civil War to Southern country people from their home-spun clothing.
- Gilbert Tucker's American English, 1921

Derived from the colour of the uniforms worn in the early part of the war by Confederate soldiers in the West, which, being homespun, were dyed brown with the juice of the butternut (Juglans cinerea).
- John Farmer's Slange and Its Analogues, 1890.

No comments: