Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Magnificent Sigh of Relief

They're safe!

I got word late yesterday afternoon that everyone survived the night. My sister's abode did very well, considering. No news yet if my Mum's house survived. It was right on the coast. Fingers crossed that it still is.

It was a tense wait for me. I was extremely worried. My friends will attest that I was stressed to the max over this, but as it turned out, Yasi was not as destructive as she could have been. A lucky break - she was more powerful than Hurricane Katrina (and only a wee bit smaller).

No fatalities have been reported, though, according the the CBC, two people are reported missing in the Innisfail area.

When my sister messaged me yesterday afternoon to tell me the news, I almost cried for the relief.

Needless to say, my mood is much improved since then. I might even get to writing a little something today.

Oh, and before I forget, we have just entered the Year of the Rabbit. HAPPY NEW YEAR!


Here's today's Forgotten English:

Vis:

If the stay of the guest exceeds a week, it should be called "a visitation." If it includes a dining, or a tea-drinking, or evening-spending, it may be termed "a visit," while a mere call can be mentioned as "a vis."
- Eliza Leslie's Behaviour Book, 1859

If you cannot make me a visit, at least make me a vis, if you can.
- Charles Southey's Life of the Rev. Andrew Bell, 1844

No comments: