Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Friday, February 25, 2011

Book Review: Web Secrets

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Again, in the interest of honesty, I know the author. Like others I've read, this book is typically out of my reading field, it not being Fantasy, and all.

That out of the way, I really, really liked this book.

I generally don't read these type of books because I find them terribly predictable. Indeed, in this one, I spotted the villain the moment I met him. I also guessed at his connection to the heroine and was spot on the money. However, a nice little twist at the end made me groan - I should have caught it, but didn't. That put a smile on my face. Nicely done, Ms. Dauber!

Do yourselves a favour, read the Prologue. I have a habit of reading them because, at least in Fantasy, they contain wonderful details and back-story that enrich the world the characters inhabit. In this case, the Prologue set a really, really interesting scene which was the main driving force behind me wanting to read the rest of the book. It really ought to have been the first chapter, rather than just a prologue. So read it.

The text is dense with descriptives, which put me in a state of constant emotional alert, and it was rather draining. However, the story moved nicely, and by the last four chapters, it moved very quickly indeed. I just had to keep reading to find out what happened.

If you like murder mystery, I'm sure you'll really like this book as well.

And today's Forgotten English is:

Chitterie-Chatterie:

A piece of bread eaten immediately after bathing.
- Alexander Warrack's Scots Dialect Dictionary, 1911

[From] chitter, to shiver; to tremble. Hence, boys are wont to call that bit of bread which they preserve for eating after bathing a chittering-piece.
- John Jamieson's Etymological Dictionary of the Scottish Language, 1808.

No comments: