Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Maybe Manic?

You know, I'm thinking that I might be a little manic. I went from feeling pretty low yesterday morning, to dancing in my chair that afternoon.

To be fair, though, I was recovering from an illness...

Today I feel great! There are two reasons I attribute my current good mood:

1. Kick-boxing.

2. 80's music. That's right. You read correctly. 80's music.

Most everyone who reads this blog must be aware by now that I am a HUGE fan of Kick-boxing. I wouldn't ever voluntarily jump into a ring and beat the crap out of someone, but I enjoy watching the fights, and I enjoy the training even more. Last night was particularly satisfying. We did high round-house kicks. Sigh. Those were good times.

I have some advice, then, for people who are suffering from what I call 'the Blahs.' That advice is simple. Get out and do some exercise. It doesn't have to be a full on hour of kick-boxing followed by an hour of Kung Fu followed by an hour of Tai Chi (an average Tuesday night for me). It might only be a 15 minute walk after dinner or during the day, but I guarantee you, you will feel better for getting out of the recycled air in your home/office and doing something.

As for the 80's music, who could ever possibly resist the awesome cheese that is 80's power ballads? Come on, I mean, when you hear St. Elmo's Fire how can you not dance in your chair? It's cheesy, and it's message is about breaking free and making it despite the odds. The same goes for Survivor's Eye of the Tiger, and so many other songs from the 80's. They tended towards that sort of thing rather than the "everything sucks, it's too hard, I'm feeling sorry for myself" messages that modern music seems to have (I'm not dissing modern music. While most of it is utter crap, there is some stuff that is just spectacular - and sometimes you need the angry 'everything sucks' music).

So, if ever you're feeling dreary, just blast those 80's tunes and dance!

Thus, for everyone out there who is feeling a bit down, here is St. Elmo's Fire to cheer you up!

2 comments:

Anna L. Walls said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. I love the 80s music too so I'm listening to st elmos fire right now. I truly envy you your training. I took Kung Fu with I was in collage and I really miss it.

S.M. Carrière said...

I suppose it might be hard to find a place to train in Alaska!

Training is great, and also largely responsible for what sanity I have left!