Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Thursday, February 25, 2010

"Followers"

Today I received a pleasant surprise. The number of people following my blog has climbed rather substantially in the past three odd days. I, for the longest time, had 12 followers, almost all of whom I knew personally. By the way, thanks for being there for me guys. Your support means the world to me.

As of this morning, there are now sixteen. I'm sure that in the blogging world, sixteen followers amounts to absolutely nothing. To a person who is yet to make it in her chosen profession and is a giant nobody, however, it means the world. There's something strangely gratifying about having people read your daily drivel... like what you're saying means something to people, like others can relate. In its own anonymous way, it's quite comforting.

Even though I don't have the hundreds of followers that some bloggers do, I would like to express my gratitude to those who are following me here. So to Coo, Lizzie, Sammy J, Cindy, Kimber Grey, Barbara Hart, David Ferretti III, Anna L, Carter, kgborland23, paigeray23, Rita Webb, Jenn to the t, Trixiekitten, Jon and Genevieve Hopkins, and to anyone else who may not be publicly following me, but is reading all the same, thank-you so much.

All the articles I read tell me that publishers and agents look at one's platform. Every follower I get increases my platform, which makes me look more enticing to those elusive agents and acquisition editors. So again, thank-you.

I'm now going to rant about the label "Follower." It struck as rather odd this morning, when I saw the number of "followers" I had. It has to be my least favourite label for people out there. It makes those who read blogs sound like mind-washed members of a cult, incapable of independent thought. It implies a certain sheepish quality about people. Surely people who subscribe to a certain blog ought to be called subscribers, shouldn't they? Readers would be another term one could use. Followers sounds so... odd. Well, to me at least!

On that note, I'm quickly falling behind in my writing... again! So I must dash and try to finish this darned story! Have a great Thursday everyone. I know I shall!

2 comments:

SammyJ said...

Hey, I love your blog, you have always been talented with writing. I was actually looking at Leonies, I think and she had something about one of your posts, so that is how I found your blog.

Good to see you are having fun in Canada. A long way from Charters Towers hey

S.M. Carrière said...

Hi SammyJ,

Thank-you so much. That is quite a compliment.

Leonie is such a darling-heart isn't she? She made life bearable for me in the last two years of high school!

Canada is a very long way from Charters Towers! I have to admit, there was a bit of a problem with adjusting to the attitude here in Canada (say nothing that might offend). I was much more used to the frank natures of Australians who generally say what they're thinking, and any offence taken is purely on you!

Other than that, I am having a wonderful time here. Despite the bitter cold, Canada is a beautiful country.

That was a very long reply just to say 'thanks.'

Have a wonderful rest of the week!