Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Friday, February 19, 2010

Back Writing Again

Well, I'm back on track, by which I mean I have started writing The Seraphimè Saga again. I am, due to the extended break in writing I took to correct papers and judge short stories, 16 020 words behind target.

Looking at my little piece of paper in which I write the day of the week and where I should be up to on that day is currently a little depressing. I should be up to 85 000 words. I'm not. If I had remained on target, a week from yesterday I'd have hit my target and be finished. As it stands now, it'll be just under a fortnight before I finish this book.

With the ending so far away, yet so close, I've been trying to turn my mind to the dreaded 'what next?' question. Well, The Third Prince has gone out to Beta readers and I should be receiving back a copy or two marked up with red lines and words all over relatively soon. That means it will be major revision and editing time!

Can you hear how happy I sound? Please excuse me while I go into a corner and start weeping uncontrollably.

It's good for me... It's good for me.... It's good for me....

So, after editing The Third Prince, I'm definitely going to have to revise Lord of Horses before I send that off to the Beta Readers. Then I'll be trying hard to get The Third Prince under the noses of all the agents and publishers I can while waiting for my Beta readers to get back to me with Lord of Horses. Once The Third Prince is away and Lord of Horses is with the Beta readers, I can start writing an article for my sister's new business. That'll take me about a month, I think.

Then I can start on a new book. What that book will be, I have no idea. Last time it took me about a month to come up with a new story, and I'm expecting the same again this time around. In the meantime, I'll be as busy as hell!

Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

Oh, and while I'm here, some of you will know that every so often I get music obsessions. For a little while there, I was obsessed with Ghost of a Rose by Blackmore's Night. My most recent musical obsession is Lux Aeterna by Clint Mansell. Listen to this piece with your eyes closed and tell me you don't see epic battles unfolding before you. It is a phenomenal piece of composition. I'm thoroughly obsessed!

No comments: