Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Seraphimé

Those of you who are actually following my blog may have noticed a small addition to the gadgets on the far right hand side of the screen. The very top one. That one there. Yes, that one. That's new. It's a counter for my new project, the title of which I haven't decided on. Chances are I'm just going to end up calling it Seraphimé. That's its working title anyway.

I've put this counter up to let you know where I'm at with this particular one and also to motivate me to keep writing. I work best under pressure I find and so if I trick myself into believing that other people are anxious to read my new book(s?) and counting on me to get it done, then I'll get through it faster.

You'll note that I've put down 100 000 words as the target. That's just a guess, since most manuscripts are between 70 000 and 100 000 words. I leant towards the longer manuscript because, let's face it, I'm a bit of a linguiphile, and I'll write and write and write. After all, my last project was roughly 410 000 words. Of course, I ended up splitting it into four books. Chances are, this new one will also be quite long... possibly more than one book, and in typical S.M. Carrière nonsensical style, I've started right in the middle.

To be fair, I started roughly in the middle when I started writing The Great Man series. No doubt, I'll go back to the beginning when this part stalls. So far it hasn't stalled at all. Not really sure how it begins, actually, but how it ends is getting clearer and clearer as I write. So far it's nowhere near the Shakespearian level tragedy that The Great Man is.

My goal is roughly 3 000 words a day five days a week, so 15 000 words a week. So far it's kinda sorta working out. There were some days, most notably when we gave the kittens away that I was simply too depressed about the kittens to write. To tell the truth, I'm a bit behind schedule, but that's alright. I'll survive. It's not like there's a publisher giving me a deadline or anything.... I'm not entirely sure whether I'm happy or sad about that.

In any case, I'll be updating the word count weekly, and whether or not the target word count is accurate or not and whether or not I'll have to split the project up into several books will also be indicated there, so check back to see how I'm going!

That's all from me. Hope you're all well.

No comments: