Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Monday, January 17, 2011

Weekend Shennanigans

I had a lovely weekend. How was yours?

Saturday Lion Dance practice had been cancelled as several members were unable to attend. That was both a good thing and a bad one. The good thing - I got to sleep in. The bad thing - no Lion Dance.

In the afternoon, I taught Kung Fu as usual.

Sunday was an entire day spent with my Dad. We had an early Yum Cha brunch in Chinatown, then headed down town to watch some movies. We ended up seeing two movies because we had the time and nothing better to do.

The first was The Green Hornet. It was a mountain of fun. There were some things I'm sure that were designed to mock traditional super hero movies, like the use of what I like to call "the Batman voice." Everyone who knows me will know what I mean by that. If you don't know me, well, it's the gravelly, slightly lower than normal voice always used by Batman when he's being Batman. I find it a little irritating, actually. In The Green Hornet, however, it was used to comedic effect and I was highly amused by it.

Jay Chou was actually very good in his role as Kato. I had liked him as an actor since Curse of the Golden Flower, but friends of mine were sceptical. He did very well. Also, he rides a motorbike. I'll leave it there.

Seth Rogan was also very good. He managed to walk the very fine line between pathos and comedy well.

If you don't take this movie seriously and you're expecting some plain old-fashioned fun then you'll love The Green Hornet. If you're expecting a serious treatment, don't go.

The second flick we saw was Season of the Witch. I haven't read the book, and I'm certain the film doesn't compare. However, it's still a good watch. There are some things which will annoy some viewers. For example, American Accents. We are so used to watching historical movies in which actors use British accents (even if it's set in France - and that bugs me!), that any other accent seems odd to us.

Also, the CG was not terrific in places. I should note that the wolves changing was a bit ridiculous. Real wolves are by far more frightening than fake ones.

However, as far as acting goes, I have no complaints.

The plot was good, but could have had a better treatment.

All in all, a pretty good flick, actually.

Now that I've thoroughly bored you with my opinions on movies, here is something much more interesting. Today's Forgotten English word/phrase:

Death Hunter:
An undertaker, one who furnishes the necessary articles for funerals. Carrion hunter, an undertaker, called also a cold cook.
- Francis Grose's Classical dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue, 1796
One who furnishes a newspaper with reports of deaths; a vendor of dying speeches or confessions.
- Sir James Murray's New English Dictionary, 1897

No comments: