Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Forgotten English

J.M.-B., who knows me very, very well, gave me for my Christmas present a 2011 calendar by Jeffrey Kagirk. Every day has a word that is no longer in use in the English language, but once existed. It is defined and a relevant folk tradition (or sometimes not) that has also disappeared or is disappearing is explained.

I think my flatmate knows me too well.

Now, because I adore this gift so much, I'm going to share it with you. Each word will be part of my posts from now on. Of course, on the weekend, it will be the only part of my posts, since I generally don't post on the weekend.

Thus without further ado, the first forgotten word of 2011:

Scurryfunge: A hasty tidying of the house between the time you see a neighbour and the time she knocks on the door.

I LOVE this calendar!

2 comments:

Swadhi said...

That sounds like an AMAAAZING calendar, no lie! I'm really into English and linguistics, word etymology, transmutations of languages, all that awesome stuff, so I am really looking forward to hearing about all those lost words! :D

S.M. Carrière said...

It is an incredible calendar! I adore it.