Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Monday, January 10, 2011

Forgot Forgotten English

I completely forgot to schedule the weekend's Forgotten English word post. So, I shall start today's post with the post that was supposed to occur on the weekend.

Innholder: A man who keeps an inn or tavern.
- Hezekiah Burnhans' Nomenclature and Expositor of the English Language, 1833

We would say 'innkeeper' now... although, I don't think that I've ever heard that used in conversation except from my own mouth.

Hmm....

The weekend was wonderful. I returned from the break to begin teaching again on Saturday. Sunday was wonderful, with my good friend T.H. coming over for a visit. Later we all went out to see Burlesque at the Rainbow Cinema. The film was extremely formulaic, but so long as you aren't expecting the world, it's good fun.

Tonight, I am starting training again. Thank goodness! I've been away from it for far too long, and I've put on some poundage over Christmas (too much good food and too much sugar!). Also, I'm quite keen to see my friends again.

It's kick boxing I look forward to the most. I don't particularly like sparring, but the training is not only excellent, but fun and a marvellous stress relief. I just don't like the fighting part.

This week, it's training for only two nights a week. Training at the other location doesn't commence until next week. This is a good thing, I'll wager, as it allows me a little bit of time to get used to the exercises again. I'm going to be complaining about sore muscles tomorrow. Just so as you are warned.

Writing continues on much as it ought. I should get started on that. Before I go, however, here's today's Forgotten English word of the day:

Post-fix: A letter appended to the end of another word; a suffix, an affix. To add a word, syllable, or letter at the end of another word.
- Edward Lloyd's Encyclopaedic Dictionary, 1895

No comments: