Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Book Review: The Power of Myth

The Power of MythThe Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Actually 4.5 stars, but it seems half-stars are not available here. In any case:

Everyone should read this book.

Everyone.

I'm at a loss for words to adequately describe this book.

And I write. Can you tell?

Presented in the format of a transcribed conversation, this book is a must read for anyone who is struggling with the inadequacies of secularism, the failures of religion, the short-comings of modern life, the mystery of marriage. This book is for people who are stuck in a rut, lost, misguided, feeling apathetic and empty.

One of the most respected modern academics, Mr. Campbell explains myth in the scope of experience. Myths are more than just stories. They are alive, and powerful, and just as relevant now as when they were first uttered - should we chose to see it.

I highly recommend this book. It is not fiction, but it is fascinating nonetheless.

I should like to have taken tea with Joseph Campbell.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Debbie Maxwell Allen said...

This sounds fascinating. I'll check it out.

~Debbie