Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Another False Alarm

Last night after training I arrived home to find a parcel up against the door. Confused, I picked it up and lo and behold, it was from Tor Fantasy. My heart flew into my throat. My pulse started racing. My hands went cold and clammy.

Why do I have a parcel from Tor? How did they get my home address, I used my work one? How is it that they know my name (although their computer had a hard time with 'è' and so my surname was spelt 'CarriA;re'... but anyway), I submitted under S.M. Carrière?

Well those three questions should have been clued me in. Tor sends out letters to people who've submitted, not parcels. Tor doesn't know my first name and they couldn't have gotten my home address. The parcel was, in fact, a book I had won in a competition and later completely forgotten about. I could've died from embarrassment... I should have known, or at least guessed, better!

To be fair, I didn't know the book I had competed for was published by Tor. All the same, I feel a right dolt! I don't know how many of these false alarms I can take!

That's it from me. Hope everyone is well!

2 comments:

jenn to the t said...

Grrrrr!

Have you submitted to others? It pains me to see you wait like this!

Continued toes crossed for good luck.

~jenn

S.M. Carrière said...

Thanks Jenn, you're awesome!

I haven't yet. I promised Tor I would wait to hear from them, or wait the 6 months maximum they indicated on their website. I am a woman of my word, and so I'll continue to wait.

Come February 25th, however....