Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Thank Goodness for Fathers

... who are nearby to lend you money for breakfast ...

While I'm munching on breakfast (an oatmeal bran muffin, if you must know), let me fill you in on someone else's exciting early success with self-publishing:


I met this fellow online. I don't remember how, exactly, but it was probably via LinkedIn.com. I seem to have met many lovely folks there. Marshall is one of the fortunate folk that manage to acquire an agent fairly soon after finishing his first book The Long Second. Now, I say "his" and will continue to do so, but there are actually two people behind the stories Marshall Buckley produces.

These two men work on either side of the Atlantic - the U.K. and Canada.

In any case, they acquired their agent fairly early on, but there were complications. Their story didn't quite fit a mould - the publishers perhaps didn't quite know how to market their almost Sci-Fi, but not quite story. The agent, having had several near misses gave her blessing to the team to self-publish The Long Second.

And that's precisely what they/he/it did.

Some initial success has Marshall Buckley swept of his four feet. You'll have to read his blog HERE to really get a gist of the exciting things happening. However, I'm unbelievably excited for him/them.

Look, just 'cause I'm not having any success doesn't mean I can't celebrate those who are! (Mostly my fault. My marketing isn't great at all.)

The Long Second looks to be a fabulous read. No I haven't read it yet, but I fully intend to. And you should too.

Currently available in eBook formats, the paperback should be out sometime next month. Check it out. Lots of people have loved it. I'm sure you will too.

And today's Forgotten English is:

Moon-Man

Moon-Man signifies in English a madman because the moon hath greatest domination, above any other planet, over the bodies of frantic persons ... Their name they borrow from the moon because, as the moon is never in one shape two nights together, but wanders up and down heaven like an antic, so these companions never tarry one day in a place.
- Thomas Dekker's Lanthorn and Candle Light, 1608

2 comments:

Debbie Maxwell Allen said...

Good morning! Your post is up today. Here's the link: http://bit.ly/ktbdH6

Thank you so much. I loved it!

~Debbie

S.M. Carrière said...

Good morning! Oh, no, wait... it's afternoon now.

Good afternoon!

Thanks ever so much for that! I'll make sure to link it on the blog tomorrow.

Hope you're having a wonderful day - I know I am!