Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Thursday, August 20, 2009

It's Here!

It's here! It's here! It's here!

About a fortnight ago, unbeknownst to anyone but myself and my credit card company, I ordered the 2010 Writer's Market. It's a giant book with "3 500 listings for book publishers, consumer magazines, trade journals, literary agents, and more." About fifteen minutes ago, it arrived. Huzzah!

Some prospective authors will roll their eyes at me and call me a sucker for buying the book but, frankly, I love books, and I find it easier to research from a book than from the Internet. I think that this is for North America only, so I may just buy the one that comes out of the UK as well.

I realise that I have already submitted my manuscript to a publishing house, and to be honest, it is the publishing house that I would most like to publish my work. I won't be sending my manuscript off to anyone else until I hear from them, but it would be a very good idea to have the list of houses and agents that are likely to publish my work already researched. It'll save me a lot of time. Let's face it, I have between two and six months from the time my proposal is received until I hear from them, so I may as well research in that time!

I'm excited to get started, so I'll sign off now.

2 comments:

Tom said...

The British equivalent is here:

http://www.writersandartists.co.uk/

I can't imagine anyone attempting to find an agent or publisher without it. It'd be a bit like reinventing the wheel. Of course, there are quite possibly those masochist wannabees who like doing things the hard way.

S.M. Carrière said...

Hi K!

Thanks for the website. I'm already a member and will order the book soon-ish. There are other bills to pay at the moment!

Thanks again! I really appreciate the help.