Being an author is like being in charge of your own personal insane asylum.

- Graycie Harmon

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Changes Are A-Coming

Yep. I can kinda feel it looming, that giant Godzilla-monster of change. It's a fairly major change that will, I'm afraid, mean the end of An Author's Journey. Don't fear (or perhaps fear, depending on how you feel about my posts), I'll still have a blog. It will still be found at smcarriere.com.

It just won't be this blog here. It'll be part of a slightly larger site - a site with a forum and a calendar and - get this - an online store. For me to sell stuff in. Eventually.

There's so much work still to be done, and the change is going to be substantial enough that I'm worried about it. However it's a change that must, I'm afraid, happen if I'm going to get anywhere towards my goal. Blogging and writing alone just isn't enough.

Of course, all of this is going to need more marketing. I'm not sure how to pull that off yet.

We'll just have to see. Right now I'm chewing my nails with fret as I get all the stuff together. Hopefully it will all pay off.

I'm off to try and write something today.

Walkist

One who participates in a walking match.
- William Craigie's Dictionary of American English, 1940

As soon as the door is once opened to such abominations. . . a whole host of similar terms should rush in and try to make a lodgement. Hence no sooner had men's ears become somewhat accustomed to hear a pedestrian called a walkist, than the man whose rifle brought down the largest amount of game became known as a famous shootist.
- M. Schele de Vere's Americanisms: The English of the New World, 1872

2 comments:

Pam Asberry said...

I am contemplating a similar change, S.M., a website that will point to other places on the web: my blog, my Etsy store, my piano studio, etc. But I'm not even close to being ready to implement that. Good luck with everything. You know I will follow you anywhere! :-)

S.M. Carrière said...

Thanks, Pam! That warmed the very cockles of my frosty heart.

The more research I do, the more I see what a tonne of work this is going to be. I had hoped to launch at the beginning of next year, but that doesn't look terribly likely now.

I have, thought, booked an appointment with the bank to see what can be done to help me along.

Now I just have to find register a business name, apply for the vending licenses for each province, get said licenses, buy the equipment I need to do the work (Computer, printer, scanner, ...gah!), hire a tax accountant because I'm shite with things like this and there are a lot of really convoluted tax laws in this country and...

It's a little overwhelming, actually. Ah well. Keeps life interesting, I guess!

When you feel up for the change and you need help, just let me know. Hopefully by then I'll be all sorted and able to help.